Friday, July 22, 2011

Cypress knees I have known

I paddled on the Silver River with friends today and was reminded of a series of cypress knee pictures I took  a onth ago.  The Silver has been a haven for power boats for many years causing severe bank erosion and exposing of  cypress roots.  Here they are enjoy.



Some are beaten and battered by the years.  They look to be haunted.


other knees are more graceful.



The knees grow out from the mother tree to help her roots breathe and form little villages.  I like to think that this is a condo for little faeries and sprites and wood nymphs and other nature spirits.  ( you don't have to believe in them to appreciate that the faeries would like to live here)



Sooo .   . . . I was snapping lots of pics on this day.  turned out to be a quest for odd looking knees.
I was out on the silver for about 8 hours and only made it past the island.
Well . . .  the hunmingbirds had something to do with that  also as you will see in a future post.

Oh yes - the knees.


the above is my favorite because it has a little resurrection fern growing from the top.



below a crazy foot with a big wolf spider on the tallest toe

Am I a little off for enjoying the knees so much?
Maybe so   . . . .   but in a good way  . . .  



No comments:

Post a Comment