Friday, February 24, 2012

More Ocala National Forest

It was such a nice day on a Friday I ducked out of work early for a quick hike in the forest.
After due consideration and some google earth I chose a place I hiked about 7 years ago.

A section of the Florida Trail just of the side of the CR 314.  It was windy today and the clouds flew across the sky.  The sunlight flowed through the trees in waves across the grass.

I was really here looking for spring wildflowers but I guess it's still a little to early.  I found a beautiful burned forest stand.  I want to say it was well managed but it sounds so . . .  "managed."


There are still lots of oak trees along the way.  It's hard to see them as out of place but periodic fire is the natural way.  The forest service has made a real effort to control burn this place.  It looks great.



The pictures don't show how hilly it is in the backgound or how far you can see through the trees. 
But you can actually see the waves of sunlight.



A beautiful Florida Trail day hike in the not yet spring.  I sang "In the garden"  as I walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment