Friday, February 3, 2012

Otter With Attitude

Another Encounter with one of my favorite of God's animal creations and , . . .
  a quiet hike in the woods.

A hot late January afternoon here at Indian Lake . .  a small lake.


I approached slowly as I watched a flock of turkeys and was lucky to see an otter before he saw me.


Then he saw me and didn't seem concerned.  Cautiously and curious he checked me out.


I watched him for a long while but lost interest and went about my wanderlust  exploring the
 bent oaks and wild orchids of this place.

I went back to the lake and caught my new friend napping. So I slowly crept up to capture a few moments. I rarely see otters out of the water and this is pretty special . . .
  to me anyway.


He was just taking a cat nap . . . chillin' .    After a while he saw me sitting across the lake.


I'm setup with my tripod in the bushes. I don't move.
  He calms down but now sleeps with his ears up.
I don't move. My new friend is not happy with me. He seems a bit irritated about the loss of nap time.

He checks me out.   After a half hour or so he gets restless and moves.  What is he doing?

He gets up; ambles over to the water and appears to be taking a dump! Never seen that before.


 He turns back to smell it, ugh!


 and does it again! 
  Is this for my benefit?   I'm laughing at the show.


 He looks at me to make sure I have been watching
 

and calmly goes about preening his coat.

Otters are above the mere labors of survival. They have attitude.

 Otters are totally cool and can back it up.  What a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment